Why I Blog . . .

At 36 years old, I had a little mid-life crisis and "Triathlon" seemed to be the cure. I had never been a competitve athlete and I'm a working Mom with 3 kids at home . . . so it's crazy. I seem to find myself updating my Facebook status so much about this new thing in my life and thought . . . maybe ALL of my Facebook friends aren't really interested! So, I have created a blogspot and those who give a toot can get all the crazy details. And I can VENT. And if you're a crazy Triathlete too . . . please share!



Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Grandma's Training Program

Last Friday, I attended my Grandmother's 80th birthday party.

80 years! What a blessing . . . and if you knew my Grandma personally - you would know that we're the ones receiving the blessing.

My Grandma is my hero, my inspiration, my role model.

Can you believe that at 80 years old she takes no medications? That she has only been in the hospital when her children were born and when she was in a car accident? She is as healthy as an ox - and as strong as one too! She has been "retired" for many years, but continues to work for hours each day, volunteering her time at her local Food Bank, helping others.

My Grandma is always helping others.


When I decided to begin my triathlon training, I was seeking to improve my heart health . . . lose weight . . . build muscle, etc. I am humbled by the knowledge that at 37 years old, I haven't always treated my body as a temple of God. This body that God has blessed me with and all of the amazing wonder of it's inner-workings . . . I have taken for granted.


I would bet good money that my Grandma, at 37 years old, would have been able to complete a Triathlon - piece of cake! There is a woman who has always treated her body as a temple of God - she has never so much as pierced her ears. I've never seen her over-eat (she probably doesn't eat enough). She doesn't keep late hours and gets plenty of sleep. And goodness knows she gets plenty of exercise . . . she is in constant motion. My brother and I used to call her Speedy Gonzalez when we were kids.


What if I lived my life like her? Worked hard . . . even after a full day at work, came home and cleaned my house, cooked for my family, ironed my husband's shirts? What if I went to bed and let my body rest and rebuild instead of staying up late and watching Netflix? What if I ate only what my body needed? What if . . . I lived as a woman of Proverbs 31?


What if my everyday life was my training?

Food for thought.


I love you, Grandma. Your life inspires me in so many ways and I pray that just a little of your strength is somewhere in me . . . I'll need it to get through 13.5 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment