Why I Blog . . .

At 36 years old, I had a little mid-life crisis and "Triathlon" seemed to be the cure. I had never been a competitve athlete and I'm a working Mom with 3 kids at home . . . so it's crazy. I seem to find myself updating my Facebook status so much about this new thing in my life and thought . . . maybe ALL of my Facebook friends aren't really interested! So, I have created a blogspot and those who give a toot can get all the crazy details. And I can VENT. And if you're a crazy Triathlete too . . . please share!



Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bunion Window?

The last I checked in with y'all, I was wallowing in self-pity after my agonizing 8 mile run.

My right knee, in particular, was on fire. And then there was the whole chafing issue . . .


So, tonight was the speed workout . . . average of about 3 miles on Thursday nights, so I figured I would be safe from harm.


WRONG!


At about mile 2, I felt like someone had just KICKED ME IN THE SIDE OF MY KNEE!


$%&**&*%@!!!!!

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.


OK, OK!! I cry uncle. I'll buy the freakin new shoes!


So, I walked from the UC Davis track back to Fleet Feet - prepared for the new shoes, but not happy about it.


Enter Keith - shoe salesman extraordinaire. He really knows his stuff and spent 30 minutes educating me on a lot of things. Here are some things I learned:

1. I over-pronate when I walk (roll my foot slightly in)

2. I DO NOT over-pronate when I run!! I am a more efficient runner than walker. I guess I should run everywhere . . . NOT!
3. The pain in my knee probably stems from my IT band - which needs better support.

4. There are running shoes with a Bunion Window!!! How AWESOME is that?? A little comfy window (soft mesh) for my big ol bunions. I am in love.


But OF COURSE they didn't have my size in stock in any of the shoes with a Bunion Window.

Of Course.


Keith did fit me in a very nice New Balance shoe, perfect for a runner who does not over-pronate. I can special order the lovely Bunion Window shoe, but it will take one to two weeks to arrive and my knees don't have that kind of time!!! Such a dilema! Fleet Feet has a 90 day return policy . . . what do I do???


I left Keith and the New Balance shoe at the store (on hold). I will sleep on it tonight.

To Bunion Window or Not to Bunion Window? That is the question . . .

1 comment: