Why I Blog . . .

At 36 years old, I had a little mid-life crisis and "Triathlon" seemed to be the cure. I had never been a competitve athlete and I'm a working Mom with 3 kids at home . . . so it's crazy. I seem to find myself updating my Facebook status so much about this new thing in my life and thought . . . maybe ALL of my Facebook friends aren't really interested! So, I have created a blogspot and those who give a toot can get all the crazy details. And I can VENT. And if you're a crazy Triathlete too . . . please share!



Friday, January 14, 2011

Zero to 5 miles . . . tomorrow!

Tomorrow morning at 8:30 am, I will be joining my comrades in craziness for a brisk morning run. A 5 mile run . . . *sigh*





Have I ever mentioned that running is my LEAST favorite discipline in the Triathlon sport?





The coaches told us that if you can easily run 4 miles, this training group is for you!


One runner asked, "What if I only run 3 miles, 3 times per week?"


One runner asked, "What if I'm running 6 miles, 2 times per week - is this group too slow for me?"


I asked, "What if I ran 6 miles 4 months ago?? Am I in the right group?"





Apparently, I am.





I hate being cold, that's the problem. I would rather run in 100 degree heat than be outside in the cold. I'm a lizard . . . I am coldblooded and I must be periodically laid out on a rock in the sun to warm up.





But anyway, this is happening in the morning. I am running outside in 50 degree weather. But remember, I swam in 58 degree water . . . so I can do this!


Of course, I'll need my wetsuit.





And the nutrition . . . oh the nutrition . . . when you are snuggled up on your couch every night of winter, you don't need nutrient rich food. All you need is food like this:

These would be my oldest daughter's chocolate mint-chip cookies. Yes, they taste as good as they look. I have eaten three tonight . . . because they're evil and call my name from the cooling rack.

But I need to go back to my dear Oat Bran with apple slices and hard boiled eggs and black coffee and lots and lots of water. I don't dislike these foods, they're the foods that truly fuel my body and make a 5 mile run possible. Chocolate mint-chip cookies won't get me around the block. But it's just hard to say goodbye to such dear friends.

Goodbye Cookies.

Goodbye Pie.

Don't worry, I'll probably be back by Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment