Why I Blog . . .

At 36 years old, I had a little mid-life crisis and "Triathlon" seemed to be the cure. I had never been a competitve athlete and I'm a working Mom with 3 kids at home . . . so it's crazy. I seem to find myself updating my Facebook status so much about this new thing in my life and thought . . . maybe ALL of my Facebook friends aren't really interested! So, I have created a blogspot and those who give a toot can get all the crazy details. And I can VENT. And if you're a crazy Triathlete too . . . please share!



Monday, January 17, 2011

The Curse of the Monkey Toe . . . or Alternate Title: Ouch!

Some people have beautiful feet and toes. . . the People with Pretty Piggies.


*sigh*


I am not a member of the People with Pretty Piggies club. I belong to another sect, the Monkey Toe Tribe - perhaps you've heard of us?





After 37 years of living with my Monkey Toes, I have come to accept this affliction and even wear my open-toe shoes with defiant pride. After all, this is how my Creator made me . . . monkey toed.



The pretty blue toes would belong to my youngest daughter. The bright red monkey toes would belong to me. (Don't mention the bunions - that's an entirely different post!)

You might be asking yourself at this point, what do Sarah's toes have to do with anything? So glad you asked! I'll tell you.

Never before have my monkey toes caused me any pain beyond my vanity. Not until now. As I continue my Half Marathon training schedule, I have noticed the strangest ache (among the other aches I have come to accept). My second toe is killing me! Do you know why my second toe is killing me? Refer to the picture above and you will see how the offending Second Toe sticks out obnoxiously past the Big Toe (not really the Big Toe at all, is he? More like second fiddle in this band). As I run longer and longer distances, my toes are trapped in my running shoes for longer and longer periods of time. And my TRUE Big Toe . . . that Second Toe . . . is crammed up against the tip of my shoe and Second Toe NO LIKEY!

Now, I know what you're going to say: Sarah, you need new (by new, you mean bigger) shoes!

I have a few comments on that subject:

1. I should be able to get 300-500 miles out of each pair of shoes and I am getting my money's worth! Even if it kills Second Toe.

2. I don't need a bigger shoe . . . at least not all around. I just need a shoe that has a little extra space for my Big & Tall Second Toe. That would be a pretty funny looking shoe. Do you think they carry that at Fleet Feet?

So . . . I may give in and buy a new (and yes, by new I mean bigger) pair of shoes. We'll see - maybe the Monkey Toe Tribe is bigger than I know and there's an entire line of Big & Tall Second Toe shoes for me to choose from.

Stay Tuned . . .

1 comment:

  1. Oh my...from one monkey-toed gal to another: I feel your pain! I do alright on short runs, but I don't know how my feet will fare on longer ones. :-/

    ReplyDelete