Why I Blog . . .

At 36 years old, I had a little mid-life crisis and "Triathlon" seemed to be the cure. I had never been a competitve athlete and I'm a working Mom with 3 kids at home . . . so it's crazy. I seem to find myself updating my Facebook status so much about this new thing in my life and thought . . . maybe ALL of my Facebook friends aren't really interested! So, I have created a blogspot and those who give a toot can get all the crazy details. And I can VENT. And if you're a crazy Triathlete too . . . please share!



Sunday, January 23, 2011

EMINEM - My Secret Weapon & Dirty Little Secret!

There are two schools of thought on the whole issue of running with music: Run with music or DON'T run with music. I understand where the people in the "DON'T" camp are coming from - because iPods, etc. aren't allowed on race day(s). HOWEVER, I am firmly in the camp of "Run With Music", because how else am I supposed to motivate myself through 6, 7, 8 miles of running?? C'mon.



On the first day of training with my Fleet Feet running group, Coach Chrissy said: "If you run with your iPod, people won't be able to talk to you - you'll kind of be isolated."

And I was thinking: That's OK, because 1) I cannot talk while I'm running, I'm just not that kind of running Rockstar and 2) I doubt whatever chit-chat my fellow runners have to share will motivate me as much as my good friend, EMINEM.








OK, OK, nobody kick me out of the Good Christian Girl Club just yet! Hear me out . . .

I know that's it's ODD that my playlist includes titles from Eminem, Miley Cirus (OK, OK, don't kick me out of the Almost 40 Club!) and Chris Tomlin. And I will further redeem myself by sharing that only ONE of Eminem's (am I the only person who thinks of M&M's when I say his name??) songs is on my iPod . . . but this song has a combination of lyrics and beat that bring out my inner WARRIOR PRINCESS with a fury and when my feet are pounding that pavement while listening to Eminem singing (and I use that word loosely here), I believe I COULD run a marathon!!

You know what song I'm talking about . . . you probably have it on your iPod too!

Lose Yourself from the 8 Mile soundtrack (good movie, too!).

I'll just share here the opening lyrics . . .



Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted-

One moment

Would you capture it

or just let it slip?

Yes, there is an obscenity or two . . . for the record, I don't sing along with the bad words. And while we're "on record", I'm also not a misogynist (that's my big word for the day). But I do love that song . . . .


It was a beautiful 6-mile run through the North Davis Greenbelt on Saturday morning.


And I enjoyed every moment of it, (OK, that's a lie - have I mentioned on this blog that I hate running??) while my motivational coach, Eminem, shouted in my ear: "You can do anything you set your mind to, man."

No comments:

Post a Comment