Why I Blog . . .

At 36 years old, I had a little mid-life crisis and "Triathlon" seemed to be the cure. I had never been a competitve athlete and I'm a working Mom with 3 kids at home . . . so it's crazy. I seem to find myself updating my Facebook status so much about this new thing in my life and thought . . . maybe ALL of my Facebook friends aren't really interested! So, I have created a blogspot and those who give a toot can get all the crazy details. And I can VENT. And if you're a crazy Triathlete too . . . please share!



Sunday, July 24, 2011

Nike Running Shoes vs The Rip Stick

So . . . since my great accomplishment of March 13th (the Half Marathon) . . . I've been Half Hearted.

Not to say that I haven't been running (although nothing over 3 miles) and that I haven't been swimming (although nothing over a half mile) . . . but definitely Half Hearted.

And then tonight . . . I had FUN.

I decided to invite my 11 year old son and 8 year old daughter with me on my twilight run. My son hopped on his Rip Stick (variation of a skateboard) and my daughter hopped on her bike and away we went.

First, let me say that when you are running along side a bike and a Rip Stick, you just naturally run a little faster. So I was feeling pretty good about this little family exercise outing. And then my son challenged me to a race going uphill on his Rip Stick.

When was the last time you raced an 11 year old doing anything?
It's kinda fun.

I will tell you the Nike Running Shoes won . . . although I'm pretty sure my son got the better workout. On a Rip Stick, you almost exclusively use your abdominal muscles to power yourself forward. Using your legs to run is far easier.

Tonight, I was reminded of a great piece of fitness advice I once heard: Have Fun! If it's not fun, you won't stick with it.

So, I stopped thinking about my pace, my form, my old bones and I just had good, old-fashioned fun.

Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment